The focus of this role is to ensure the smooth and successful opening of our new LEGO store in Newcastle from an operational and people perspective.
Store opening process
- Ensures that the store opening process is carried out smoothly according to plan, in line with the
operational planning and setting up relevant procedures.
- Involved in recruiting, inducting and training all team members with HR support
- Ensures that all sales associates are trained in customer service standards and techniques on an
ongoing basis with the support of the European training and recruitment manager
- Offers Loyalty Card, Shop at Home and any other services that are appropriate -Ensures that all
customer issues are dealt with and a successful conclusion is reached in all cases.
- Ensures satisfactory Mystery Shopper results and implements appropriate action follow up when needed
- Leads by example ensuring that excellent customer service is provided by the team at all times.
- Provides every customer with a warm welcome and exceeds all expectations at every opportunity,
interacting with the children, establishing needs, offering features and benefits and successfully closing
- Reviews sales and margin information on a regular basis in order to take appropriate action to achieve
profitable sales, ensuring that the store management team are regularly updated on key areas.
- Consistently strives to maximise the sales potential of the LEGO store and ensure that stock levels are
maintained and a high standard of merchandise presentation is achieved following store guidelines.
- Regularly monitors and reviews business performance in line with budgets and other targets, takes
action as appropriate without compromising LEGO Brand Values or the customers experience. Overall
responsibility for the store and organisation of all store related tasks.
People Management, team leadership
- Drives recruitment for all team members as and when the need arises, in line with the company
recruitment guidelines and policies.
- Executes all the company HR core processes in line with HR guidelines and in a timely manner. This
involves ensuring that all new team members receive an induction, effectively appraising and identifying
training needs for sales associates, Supervisors and Assistant Manager.
- Ensures that holiday, attendance, training, personnel records and team scheduling are consistently
- Effectively manages all employees performance in line with LEGO processes, by fostering their personal
and professional development
- Focuses on developing the Assistant Store Manager and the Store supervisor(s).
- Deals with any potential employee relations issues or conflicts with the support of HR and the
- Completes the monthly payroll input process in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensures that operational budgets and overall profitability is maximised.
-Ensures that orders for the store and office supplies are completed in line with guidelines and operating
- Maintains merchandising and store standards at all times following store guidelines.
- Ensures that all Health & Safety policies and practices are followed and takes appropriate action when
required, working with Visual Merchandising and the Operations Manager.
- Works with the Merchandising team and Operations Manager to achieve the correct mix of stock, in
order to achieve target margin and promote profitable sales by regular review and analysis of stock
information on a regular basis, and taking appropriate action to plan ahead, in order to ensure the correct
stock balance while achieving an effective stock turn.
- Ensures a well organised stockroom is maintained at all times and that all available products are
merchandised on the shop floor and loss prevention targets are achieved.
- Performs other related duties as required and directed by the Operations Manager. This might included
being involved in a brand retail project at national or global level
- Proven experience in retail is required. This ideally includes Assistant Store manager or Store Manager
experience in a busy, fast pace retail environment. Experience in the toy industry is an advantage but not
- Good organisational, verbal and written communication skills
- Must be outgoing, enthusiastic and a team leader.
- Experience in recruitment, selection and training would be an advantage
- Experience in people management is essential (performance reviews, discipline and grievance issues)
- Financial knowledge and awareness are essential: knowledge in budgeting, profit & loss statements,
scheduling, loss prevention and cash management is an asset.
- Computer literate: knowledge of Office pack (Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Outlook)
- Experience of working with children is an asset
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends to support the store operations.
- Domestic business travel will also be required from time to time.
New Lego Store Newcastle
Unit 73, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, NE11 9YG, UK
Permanent, full time, 40 hours per week including weekends and evenings
Reports to the District Manager